Once upon a time there was a young Persian lady who fell madly in love with a Prince (don’t they always). One day she baked a cake filled with spice and rose and goodness and magic and gave it to the Prince. When he ate it he fell in love with her instantly! And then there was all that happy ever after bullshit.
A tradition was born. Persian Mother in Laws would then bake this cake for her daughter’s husband to be and the story goes that once he eats the cake he will fall madly in love and they will have a long and happy marriage. Who knew it was THAT easy!?!
So as it is Valentine’s Day I have made a Persian Love Cake! As you’ve probably already worked out I’m a bit of a nutter, I get something in my head and can’t rest till I’ve done it. £17 on ingredients in Sainos later and I’m happy. (£4 for a bottle of Rose Water that I guarantee will never ever be used again, and cardamom pods….who buys cardamom at 8am on Valentine’s Day in a sea of men scrambling for last minute bouquets! )
In my life Valentine’s Day has always been a bit of a let down. To help those who are feeling a little down about being alone today I share with you my top 5 favourite Valentine’s Day moments…
- Getting one Valentine’s card addressed to me and my best friend. We were expected to share.
- Not being able to move from a bed after having my Gall Bladder removed.
- Watching 2 seasons of The Undatables and drinking a bottle of wine after not seeing a single person all day.
- Getting trashed on cheap vodka and almost getting married to a complete stranger in a nightclub/elvis/wedding ceremony moment.
- Oh today…making a Persian Love Cake and watching a program about Ashley Madison, romantic huh?
So turns out I don’t really like Rose water all that much but I’ve mixed it with so much lemon juice it’s now edible! Sounds like some kind of elaborate metaphor for my view on romance.
Happy Valentine’s Day, I intend to eat a full Love Cake and fall head over heels in love with myself. I should have gone to Bothams!
Tell me about your horrific/ hilarious Valentine’s moments…let’s cheer up those who are bored of soppy Facebook posts and are still holding their breath every time the Interflora van drives past.I have a little prize for the funniest/worst story.